Saturday 21 April 2012

A Painted Review of Recent Airfix WW2 British set

I know quite a few blokes have done reviews of the recent Airfix WW2 British Infantry set, but this is a "painted up" version- not intended to replicate what has already been done on PSR.
Firstly, I don't think this is the best set Airfix have ever done, however I do think it is a useful set for those collecting a 20mm British force for NW Europe. The figures are a little on the undernourished side but have some quite nice detail. Some of the figures I would not use as they are because the poses are a bit out of place, for example:
This picture comes from Plastic Soldier Review, who recently reviewed this set. This chap has very spindly legs and carries a gas mask, which I understood to be a piece of equipment issued to the BEF and early war troops. I decided I couldn't rescue this pose, so I lopped the heads off to use on other figures.
I also made changes to these poses:
I cut off the carrying handle on the Bren gun, just because I didn't like the look of it (yes, I know they had them), and PSR called it "grossly exaggerated". The bloke in the middle appears to be carrying the rolls of white tape used for marking off mine fields or where mines were on the verges of roads, (although PSR suggest it is for field telephone cable, could be)- an interesting choice of pose but not one I would want several of in a box, so I cut off the tape roll:
The bloke with the PIAT, although interesting, didn't seem right. The PIAT looks too spindly and the likelihood of him firing it one handed would be pretty slim. I converted this figure by cutting off the PIAT arm and replacing it with a sten. This figure was then put with a slightly converted Revell 2inch mortar figure- I gave him an Airfix head from one of those figures I mentioned earlier:


I think I've taken those too close up.

Here are some of the painted up figures from an earlier photo session; I think they came up quite well in the end:

This next lot of photos are from the most recent photo session:
Bloke on left has an enamel mug hanging from his pack.

I think PSR has made some pretty valid comments about this set, but until they are actually painted up one cannot fully appreciate them. With some alterations I have been happy to include them with my British forces for the Dorsets from 43rd Wessex Division. Another bonus was the low cost of this set, as Airfix stuff seems to be cheaper here in Australia than even the UK- same can't be said for most of the other manufacturers though.

I hope you blokes have found this painted review useful, stay tuned for a painted review of the excellent Caesar Miniatures WW2 British infantry set in a future post.

Cheers,
Jacksarge.


21 comments:

  1. Lovely work Jacksarge. They look much better painted up and with your conversions.

    Well done.

    Yet to see a packet here in NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul.
      So, this box hasn't made it to Kiwi-land yet? It's been on the shelves for several months down here in South Eastern Oz- wonder why...?

      Delete
  2. Very nice painting, they look to mix well with others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Al, yeah they do mix in well with Plastic Soldier Company, Caesar & Italeri (Esci).

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures! I think your conversions and paint job have really brought out the potential of this set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much appreciated Uncle, I think "potential" is the right word- too may were quick to write this set off IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who had written these off, you have made me reconsider. You have done a great job with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks "Dux", glad to have given you pause for thought...:)

      Delete
  6. Nice work, and good review, I've yet to pick this set up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Dan. Hey, are we going to see any WW2 stuff from you anytime soon?- I always enjoy your handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lovely work, as always Sarge! I really liked the couple you sent over to me. They mixed very well with the Esci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice work. What are your painting steps and colours - I'm particularly impressed with the way you do the lining and the drybrushing?

      I agree with you, they look much, much better painted up and the poses are good. British WWII infantry appears to be a subject that none of the plastic manufacturers get quite right. Caesar are probably the best (of the medium sized ones) but the Lee Enfields don't look quite right. The weapons on the new Airfix are rather long so I've trimmed back the Stens and some of the rifles and rebuilt the tip.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous,
      No lining in, just use a very dark blue wash after initial blocking in over a light grey undercoat. The wash is either Paynes Grey, or 50/50 Vallejo Blueshade & Umbershade. I work back over the wash once it has dried with successively lighter colours.
      I use Vallejo, Derivan & occassional GW paints.

      Delete
  9. No Worries bro. Yep, they do mix in pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely painting and conversion work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look good with the paint job you gave them. Its a pity I didn't know Airfix were releasing figures again but the last lot back in the seventies were nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely painted mate!
    They look rather good, despite the PS dim review...
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sarge,

    Yr blog and stuff on WWII figures and wargaming are truly inspiring. I am now getting back into it with the new Airfix figures and couldn't agree more with your comments.

    Rgds Victor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic work
    I have book marked this one for reference later
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

17th Century Characters...mostly

 Here are some 17th Century character miniatures I finished recently.  28mm metal, mostly from Wargamer Poland: https://sklep.wargamer.pl/gb...